Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Fire Traps and Rust Buckets Amid Other Vagaries of Life

Day Three: Tiny Things to Write About Challenge

Name the model and key details of your first car



Who would ever admit to owning a 1971 Ford fire trap Pinto in - what else? - "Pinto Blue"???
But I do.
I really do.
Admit it.
Willingly.
Defiantly.
Proudly, even.

That car, however dangerous, however embarrassing, however... well however you want to describe it, was my soul for many years.

It carried me to school, to Friday night football games, to college.
It participated in many endeavors:
Chinese Fire Drills
Car Pooling to the audio rants of Imus in the Morning
706.3-mile journeys to/from Midwest to New England every summer and autumn
Laps around my first college campus's main drive to evade detection of said "illegal contraband of a weedy nature" (yep that's right, I'm loud and I'm proud, not gonna go for any political positions at this point in my life lol).
And it carried me East to where I wanted to be.

It was there for many of my most private and most public experiences, and it served me well. Despite the possible fire trap situation, I never had a day's trouble from my Pinto Blue.

Old Blue.




Have a Speedy One :)



6 comments:

  1. That's awesome julie! My first car was a blue Ford Focus wagon that my mum sold me for a dollar. Her name was Gwendolyn and I loved her dearly! I still have her rear view mirror somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny how inanimate objects become part of the family, isn't it? 😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. #1 was the previously lamented on Facebook VW bug. #2 was a yellow, 1973 Ford Maverick with no heat. My friends never wanted to drive with me in the winter. What? Nothing like driving in a snowstorm with the window down spraying de-icer on the windshield. Now my older brother had a 1950 something with no floor in the back. You could watch the road pass by underneath you. Oh, and when I first got the VW I could drive it till it was empty and fill up for $5.00. Bet Grace can't imagine that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I think we should make this a thing. Julie you do your prompt then Grace and I can answer your prompt too. It can be a challenge to see who can keep it up for the month. You would have the biggest challenge since you're the one with the book. Grace could have some leeway since she has the Squishette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea! Will relay the message, but feel free to pot away!

      Delete